Community Development District Overview
The Stonebrier Community Development District (CDD) is a local, special purpose government entity authorized by Chapter 190 of the Florida Statutes as amended, established April 26, 2005, and created by Ordinance 05-4 of Hillsborough County as an alternative method of planning, acquiring, operating and maintaining community-wide improvements in planned communities. A CDD provides the "solution" to Florida's need to provide valuable community infrastructure generated by growth, ultimately without overburdening other governments and their taxpaying residents. Community Development Districts represent a major advancement in Florida's effort to manage its growth effectively and efficiently. This allows a community to establish higher construction standards, meanwhile providing a long-term solution to the operation and maintenance of the community's facilities.
The Stonebrier CDD is organized similar to other local governments in Florida, in that the legislative body is composed of a five-member board known as the Board of Supervisors. The Board establishes the policy of the District in accordance with Florida law. The Board, by law, must hire a District Administrator and District Counsel. Staff members operate utilizing the same formalities as a County Administrator and County Attorney. The Board, through review of advertised Requests for Qualifications, ranks and selects a District Engineer to perform the engineering needs of the District. District Administration staff and the District Attorney administer the operations of the District and implement the Board's policies and contracts.
The District Manager's responsibilities include:
- Preparation and submittal of a proposed operations and maintenance budgets for Board review and action
- Preparation of contract specifications for District operations, including community appearance, Stormwater management, and conservation area maintenance
- File all required forms and documents with state and local agencies
- Attend all Board of Supervisor meetings – implement the policies of the Board
- Additional duties as directed by the Board